Each child receives an individualized educational program based on his/her strengths and needs. Each curriculum is evidenced-based and specifically designed to help children develop language and literacy, problem solving skills, and learn how to socialize and interact with others. Children are provided with the opportunity to participate in activities that support math, science, art, drama, language and culture. Children leave Head Start prepared for kindergarten, excited about learning, confident in their own abilities and ready to succeed.
Texas Neighborhood Services offer Early Head Start (center-based), Head Start (center-based and home based). The overall goal of our program is to bring about a high-quality of school readiness and social competence in children of low-income families. Social competence is a child’s everyday effectiveness in dealing with present environment and later responsibilities in school and life. We strive to address our children's needs in all areas of development- physical, social, emotional, and cognitive-and to provide support and assistance to all those who affect the child's development. We honor issues of cultural relevance, diversity and inclusion, through our validation of the individual strengths of the enrolled children and their families.
TNS firmly believes that the lives of young children and their families can be enriched and strengthened by the quality of the educational program provided to them. The quality of the program depends on several factors:
- Providing a safe and nurturing environment.
- Providing a developmentally appropriate curriculum that addresses all areas of development-social, emotional, cognitive and physical.
- Providing learning experiences within the context of children’s culture and community; and
- Working in partnership with parents to plan, implement and evaluate the educational experiences provided for children and families.
Scheduled Educational Interactions with Families:
- Volunteering in the classroom
- Attending agency trainings
- Attending monthly parent meetings
- Parent questionnaire
- Two home visits Fall/Spring
- Parent conferences Fall/Spring
- Transitioning of children from TNS Head Start to the public school system